In a hollywood world of  diminishing original thought and the onslaught of these second rate remakes, comes “The Wolfman”. Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro star in this reiteration of Lon Chaney’s original vehicle. While the effects are impressive (Oscar-winning), full of high caliber actors and a classic monster story, this film does not do what it intended. Which is okay, I’ve encountered 1,000′s of these movies. They set out to make ‘The Exorcist’ and ended up making ‘The Evil Dead’. The special effects are good, but some of the gags are too CGI and very laughable. The acting is good, the script is pretty bad, and the howl at moon…oh boy, that was a deal sealer. Don’t get me wrong though, it’s enjoyable to watch and a fun movie,  do not expect a  classic. The moment wolfy howls though, i got sent back to the dreadful time when i heard Darth Vader say “Yippeee!” <shudder> and “FUCK THIS” came out of my mouth. But, i forged on and finished the movie, much like Episode 1, hoping it would get better and thinking it might only be a fluke in the scene. Well, 1 out of 2 aint bad, “Wolfman” got better, Episode 1 FAILED. You see, whether the filmmakers’ intentions fail, but my own enjoyment is fulfilled, i can still walk away happy. I don’t give a fuck what other people want. It’s what i want, all the time. It’s a selfish way to review movies, i know, but, then again, I Don’t Care. The howl made me chuckle aloud and gave a cuddly factor to the beast, Whoops. It does pay good homage to the original though, i can say that much. So, check it out, don’t expect too much and have some fun. Let me know what you think. As always, Thanks for reading.

Listening To: Fake Problems “Ramblin’ Man”, Interpol “Untitled”, The Gaslight Anthem “We Came To Dance”, Alkaline Trio “Cooking Wine”, Dropkick Murphy’s “I’m Shipping Up To Boston”, REM “Losing My Religion”, Mad Caddies “Why Must I Wait”, Common Rider “Signal Signal”, Wire “I Am The Fly”, Rival Schools “Wring It Out”, Fishbone “Ma And Pa”, Muse “Starlight”,  The Zombies “Care Of Cell 44″

About belchdini

I love horror and comedies mainly, My quest is to give my fellow bloggers brief reviews of the best and worst of horror tv and film with a twist of humor. My site will also display trailers of movies that i love and/or want to see. Please Enjoy! and share if you like what you read! I am also an avid musician and songwriter, short story writer, actor and student of computer science and graphic design. My bands include The Alaskan (alternative one man band), Slide of Hand (alternative comedy), and Happy Scrappy: Hero Pup (Improv Noise), links to all my music sites are listed below if you'd like a listen. I am certainly no expert when it comes to horror and comedy, my ego is just big enough to think people will read and enjoy, hopefully laugh at my posts. I know im not the only fucked up person in this world...ENJOY MY BRAIN, ZOMBIES!

24 responses »

1. It is a fun October popcorn muncher, but for me it was dissappointing as a remake. They changed pretty much everything about it. Although I did enjoy the London rampage. Still they minimize the gypsies that play such a big part in the original and I didn’t really enjoy all the substory with the father. So watch and enjoy but like he said don’t expect a classic.

2. katie says:

i spent most of that movie feeling like i was waiting for the plot to begin. it wasn’t a waste of time, but it felt rushed and cut off. at least it was nice to look at.

3. I found this one ok too

4. johnlmalone says:

what a star studded cast. your review is certainly a dampener but it does look terrific and I’ll certainly on the strength of the trailer, at least, give this one a go. thanks for dr\awing my \attention to it — and I have decided to add your blog to my list of favourites

5. I hated this movie, luckily I watched it for free so I didn’t have to walk out. Hopkins was in it for the check only. It had a lot of potential. I’m always mad when I see crappy Werewolf films. The Howling Reborn Trailer makes me want to rip off my own face.

6. Halim says:

like katie here said, it was nice to look at. It’s a beautiful film and I loved the mood, but there’s not much for me to connect to underneath all that, so I was disappointed, especially for Emily Blunt, who I like and think is grossly under-rated. Benicio del Toro was unexpected casting and was great, and Anthony Hopkins was very watchable as always, although he’s starting to be the same to me now, in his movies. For example, The Rite was another surprisingly disappointing and boring movie, to me.

I can’t help thinking of Sleepy Hollow and how I enjoyed that, and that perhaps The Wolfman might have turned out better in Tim Burton’s hands. But then again, Alice in Wonderland and Sweeney Todd were just blah to me. I’m looking forward to see Dark Shadows though, mainly because of Michelle Pfeiffer.

Anyway, I came here to say thanks for the first ever like on my blog! Only to discover your writing which I enjoy very much. Definitely coming back for more. Cheers

7. kat says:

I think the DVD version is better, only because of the extended version with the deleted scenes. I liked the special effects, but sometimes Anthony Hopkins got on my nerves.

8. infinite monkey theorem says:

I was disappointed too. I thought Del Toro was miscast. He seemed too lumbering and distracted throughout. As Halim said, this might have been a better movie in Tim Burtons hands, and if we’re gonna do that, we may as well cast Depp in the lead. However, Emily Blunt stays! She was the only really spot on thing in the production.

9. tvbloggers says:

man this sucked. S>U>C>K>E>D.

10. Hey, awesome blog, I’ve really been getting into questionable horror films recently. I think I’d still give this one a try since I’m not an aficionado or anything! I just wanted to say thanks for the like on my blog http://ordinaryesotericist.wordpress.com/,
    I’m also a noise musician, do you have any links to your music? I think I found you on tumblr but I can’t be sure. Anyway I’ll be reading your blog and would be interested in keeping in touch as you appear to have similar interests.

Ordinary

11. i recall laughing at loud too. :)

12. Dave Simkus says:

The howl was amusing but this movie is still amazing. I really liked the atmosphere and the fog, it really made me feel like I was there.

13. Spot on. I didn’t want to demand my money back but it definitely landed on the disappointing side of things.

14. Editor Bob says:

Forgive me if I’m a movie moron, but I did enjoy this one more than Sleepy Hollow. The mood of the film was too bloody electrifying and all the actors — Hopkins, Del Toro, and Blunt — did a very good job. It was no spider web in terms of plot nor did it carry a message. But I guess the director knew what he was doing, and he was bang on target.

15. Your comment about hearing Darth Vader say ‘Yipee’ made me laugh out loud.
    Also reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkCJDkG3fg
    Comic store clerk loses it with kid trying to buy a Jar Jar Binks toy.

16. This was a horrible movie – nice piece tho!
    @alexburrell

17. Hey, I thought I’d stop by and check out your blog, seeing as you were nice enough to visit mine… and I like it!

I’m a big fan of horror films, especially the old classics – although, I must admit to being a bit of a wuss about some of the uber-gory modern movies (I still haven’t plucked up the courage to watch The Human Centipede… I’m waiting til I have a sturdier bucket to throw-up into).

Anyway, I commented on this post because I’m dying to see this film – even more so now that I know about ‘the howl’. Out of interest?… does it have the same cuddly factor as the ending of The Howling – you know, where Dee Wallace turns into a sad, fluffy puppy? I do hope so!

I’ll definitely be back to read more. :)

18. minlit says:

It’s amazing how you can take such good actors, so much money and such a lot of energy and still produce this film. Your assessment is on the nail.

19. loved the movie, but in a totally “are they trying to make it bad on purpose” type of way.

had to disengage brain about 20 minutes in after that it was pretty good.

love your reviewing Mantra “Its about what I want to watch” now only if more movie producers consulted me before they made their movies… (Jar Jar Binks torture scene anyone?)

20. Amory says:

It was an ok movie, but I agree with what you said at the end. It pays homage to the original. Plus Emily Blunt is pretty awesome

21. Alexandra Drake says:

Anthony hopkins is still one of the best actors these days eventhough he is very old. `

<a href="View all of the most popular piece of writing on our new blog

22. Ariel Sackos says:

Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins, CBE (born 31 December 1937) is a Welsh actor of film, stage, and television, and a composer. Considered to be one of the greatest living actors,Hopkins is perhaps best known for his portrayal of Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs, its sequel Hannibal and the prequel Red Dragon. Other prominent film credits include The Mask of Zorro, Meet Joe Black, The Lion in Winter, Magic, The Elephant Man, 84 Charing Cross Road ^

My own, personal web site
    <,http://www.caramoantourpackage.com